Sunday, June 24, 2018

Easy Berry Freezer Jam




Our hills are exploding with blackberries! The kids have been gathering them as fast as they ripen and we've started making jams and pies. Yum! Today I thought I'd share my super easy method of making berry freezer jam.  I know this is not the only way to make jam---it might not be the easiest, and it's likely not the healthiest, but it's a great beginner method for those who just want some fresh strawberry jam (or any berry jam!) in their freezer this year!


 You can use any berries for this method.  I'm using strawberries---or "baw-shoos", as my toddler self called them.


Crush the washed and hulled berries with a potato masher or some other smushing tool.  I like the Pampered Chef Mix 'N Chop for this job.  Just don't chop them if you're using strawberries.  I'd read this somewhere before but thought I'd give it a shot just to see if it was true.  It's true.  If you chop the strawberries, they won't release enough juice and your jam won't thicken.


So, after you've crushed the strawberries, measure how much you have and then dump them into a large stock pot.  Mine is 16 qt.  You'll need one fairly bigger than the amount of jam you're making because it will foam up as it boils.  Then measure the same amount of sugar into the pot.  So, today I had 9 cups of crushed strawberries so I added 9 cups of sugar.
Turn the burner up to medium-high and stir until the sugar is dissolved.  Let the mixture boil, stirring occasionally, until the jam sheets off the spoon (as opposed to dripping off).  By the way, they make long-handled wooden spoons for use in large stock pots.  Get one---so you don't burn your hand off.


Pour into a glass or plastic container that has a tight-fitting lid, but let the jam cool in the container before covering.  I use all kinds of different containers for this---they don't have to be specifically made for jam.  You can store glass jars in the freezer---just make sure you cool them all the way first. Store the cooled jam in your freezer for as long as it lasts, or in your fridge for up to 30 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments and questions. Thanks for visiting!